Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sleepless in Suffolk

So, I've been off the map for five days. After my BFF kitschen threatened to send a search party out for me today if I didn't get online, I decided to a) get online before she sent one (she doesn't mess around) and b) post a blog.

That's a lie. The Part B. I am blogging because I can't effing sleep. No sleep in two full days and the two days/nights before that I had fevers, seizures, and night terrors, so they weren't exactly peaceful either.

Those of you who read my blog for the Lymie-licious content know about insomnia. And chronic fatigue. And narcolepsy, cataplexy, and all the other swell sleep problems we (can) get with this disease (but I somehow have all of them, and also know other people who do, WTF). So you know when you're rolling up on half a week, no sleep you gotta call the LLMD (before you turn into a gangsta... what is with my vernacular in this post?). So, check, got an appointment with my man for sleep problems on Wednesday.

He has told me before that if I fail a few sleep treatments (which I think I now have... when we started there were already hardly any I hadn't failed) that we have one viable option left: Xyrem. Google it if you want to, it seems imprudent to link it here, but basically, it's... well, Google it if you want to. I think it might be more tightly controlled than ANY other medication I take. The worst thing is, you can't just get it at the local pharmacy, so it may take a while to get it in my hands while the doctor mails the Rx, the Rx company fights with the insurance company for coverage, etc. And I want sleep NOW. Yes, I have considered just chasing booze with pills but I have some weird horse like property that makes everything bounce off me. You Lymies know the one, it makes everything too strong or totally ineffective. It's craptastic.

So, here I am, rambling, at almost 5 AM, and wishing I could sleep without waking up screaming. I'm going to keep trying to achieve my goal, because I'm not a quitter. Also I have nothing else to do.

As far as everything else goes... well fuck if I know, I can't sleep! But I know not much has been going on in my life, aside from some vampire related stuff and I'm reading Mansfield Park again (Jane Austen's "most complex and most disliked novel" -- I disagree, Northanger Abbey really gave me the creeps, but to each literature snob her own). I had lobster and filet mignon for dinner but that's not really unusual (seriously, Italians eat well... we don't skimp on that part of the budget). I got a new BCBG cocktail dress for this awards dinner thing I have in New England next month... and I can't find my fountain pen. Also, I think the pipes in my bathroom have centipedes and they scare me.

So, that's the news from Suffolk. No sleep, vampires, lobster... not in any way related.

Buona notte... e sogni d'oro.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

*yah* a NEW blog

I can tell you're lacking in the sleep department. I wish I had some advice, but I probably can't give you any suggestions that you haven't tried already.